Does your skin have a persistent red-faced look? Do certain foods, drink, and even sunlight cause your face to flush and blush? If you have these symptoms, you may be one of the millions of Americans affected by the common skin disease, Rosacea.

About Rosacea

Rosacea is a chronic skin disorder. While it occurs mostly on the face, rosacea may also appear on the neck, scalp, back or ears. Normally it begins around or after age 30 as a redness on the forehead, nose or cheeks. This may come and go at first, but over time the redness becomes more persistent. Rosacea does not tend to go away without treatment, and if left untreated, bumps or pimples may develop.

In its advanced stages, oil glands enlarge and the skin thickens. This can lead to a large bulbous nose called rhinophyma, and thick, red puffy cheeks.

Over 50% of patients with rosacea have eye involvement as well.

What to Look For:

One symptom of rosacea is redness similar to sunburn or a blush on the cheeks, nose or forehead that does not go away. Some burning or stinging is also common. This “blushing” often follows the consumption of certain foods or drinks, exposure to sunlight or even stress.

Some rosacea patients experience visible blood vessels on the surface of their skin, usually on the cheeks and nose.

Bumps or pimples may develop; these may be inflamed and look like teenage acne. Also, rosacea may cause red, raised patches on the skin’s surface.

In roughly half of rosacea patients, the eyes may be watery and irritated and appear bloodshot. Eyes may feel gritty or you may feel as if something is in your eye. Styes are also common with rosacea.

In severe cases of rosacea, the nose may become swollen, and the skin may become thick and or bulbous.

Consult Your Doctor:

There is no cure for rosacea, but various medications and procedures are available to lessen or reverse its symptoms. Don’t live with this frustrating disorder when you can lessen or virtually eliminate its effects. If you think you may have rosacea, please see your Skin care specialist for more information.